WATERTOWN, Wis. - The Rockford University women's volleyball team (6-18) fell in straight sets on Wednesday evening to the red-hot Maranatha Baptist University Sabercats (16-3). The Sabercats were in control much of the evening, winning 25-14, 25-18, 25-13, and have now won 15 of their last 16 matches including seven straight.
- The Sabercats opened the match on fire, scoring 9 of the first 11 points to take an early 9-2 advantage.
- Rockford was never able to get any closer than seven points for the remainder of the set, falling 25-14.
- The Regents were however able to bounce back and play much better in the second set. Rockford scored the first three points, before ultimately jumping out to a 5-3 lead.
- Rockford was led by a pair of kills from Nicole Eggers and one kill each by Jacey Wilson and Della Crain.
- However, Maranatha promptly responded with a 6-0 run to take its first lead of the set at 9-5.
- The Sabercats' lead hovered around four points until midway through, when they scored six straight points to take their largest lead at 18-10.
- The Regents continued to fight and chip away at the Sabercat lead and would eventually pull back within five points late in the set. Jacey Wilson led the RU offensive attack with a pair of kills down stretch.
- Unfortunately, the Sabercats scored the final two points to win the second set 25-18 and take a 2-0 lead.
- Maranatha would continue to build upon its momentum early in the third set, scoring 11 of the first 14 points to grab an 11-3 advantage.
- Rockford was unable to get any closer than seven for the remainder of the match, dropping the final set 25-13 and the match 3-0.
- Jacey Wilson tied for the team-high with 8 kills on just 20 attempts for a .300 hitting percentage. She also added 2 assists.
- Della Crain also tied for the team-high with 8 kills and 1 dig.
- Brooke Mirshak tallied a team-high 13 digs, 1 assist and 1 kill.
- Jessica Witkowski led the team with 15 assists and 7 digs.
The RU women's volleyball team returns to the court on Friday, October 25 at Benedictine University. The match has a scheduled start time of 7 PM.