ROCKFORD, Ill. - The Rockford University women's volleyball team (6-10, 0-2 NACC) dropped its first match 3-0 to Edgewood College (4-11, 2-1 NACC) and its second match 3-0 to Grace Christian University (6-8). The Regents were not able to get much started in the first match against the Eagles. However, the Regents came out stronger, looking more sharp against the Tigers. It was a tough day for the Regents dropping its first two matches in ten days.
- Edgewood got off to a fast start in the first set, leading the Regents 6-2 capped off by a kill from Mackenzie Doherty.
- The Regents fought hard to get control of the set making 9-5.
- Unfortunately, that is the closest the set would be after the Eagles pulled together a string of multi-point runs.
- The Eagles would go on to take set one, 25-11.
- The second set started with the Eagles scoring the first six points.
- Rockford started to close the gap when Mackenzie Blizniak hammered down a kill to make it 8-4.
- The Eagles went on a 13-2 point run making it 23-9.
- The Regents fought hard, scoring five straight points at the end of the second set ending with an impressive service ace from Paige Carpenter.
- Although, it was not enough as the Eagles won the second set, 25-15.
- Della Crain started the third set with a big kill giving the Regents a 1-0 lead.
- Edgewood answered scoring seven straight points to make the score 7-1.
- The Regents returned with a 7-1 point run highlighted by Mackenzie Blizniak and McCathran Andrew having two kills a piece, tieing it 8-8.
- However, the Eagles would shut the door with a kill from Abbey Maier to win the set 25-14 and the match 3-0.
Grace Christian University
- The first set started out with the two teams even at 6-6 with a kill coming from Nicole Eggers.
- Rockford scored five straight points to make it 11-6. Della Crain rained down three kills, while Jessica Witkowski had two service aces and Nicole Eggers recording a kill.
- The Tigers went on a 7-2 point run taking the lead at 14-13.
- Amelia Rehberg stopped the bleeding with a kill to tie it 14-14.
- Both teams traded points for the rest of the match keeping it close, but it was the Tigers who came out victorious in the first set, 25-22.
- The second set started off where the first set left off with both teams trading points staying within two points of each other.
- With it being tied 5-5, Grace Christian created some space with a 5-1 point run to make it 10-6.
- The Regents were not able to stop the Tigers, losing the second set 25-15.
- A kill from McCathran Andrew put the Regents up 2-0 to start the third set.
- The rest of the third set was a dog fight between the two teams.
- A thunderous kill by Alyssa Ashford to tie it 10-10 kept the Regents alive.
- Grace Christian took the lead 16-14 with a 6-2 point run.
- Rockford answered by regaining the lead 22-17 from an 8-1 point run. Leading the charge was Della Crain with four consecutive kills.
- The Regents could not hold the lead, losing the third set a heart breaking 25-23.
- Della Crain had 17 kills, 2 digs, and 2 blocks.
- Nicole Eggers had 5 kills, 2 digs, and 1 block.
- Brooke Mirshak had 1 kill, 2 assists, 2 service aces, and 23 digs.
- Paige Carpenter had 2 kills, 1 assist, 1 service ace, and 10 digs.
The RU women's volleyball team returns to action Wednesday, October 2 at MSOE. The match has a start time of 7:00 PM.