ROCKFORD, Ill. - The Rockford University women's volleyball team (6-7) swept Mount Mary University (0-12) and Lawrence University (3-12) to cap off a perfect 4-0 at the tournament. The Regents were no match for Mount Mary, beating them in three straight sets (25-20, 25-17, and 25-19). However, Lawrence put up a fight, dragging the match to five sets before Rockford prevailed (25-23, 30-28, 25-21, 25-15, and 15-10).
Mount Mary University
- The Regents struck first with a kill from Alicia Puente to start the first set 1-0.
- Mount Mary jumped out in front with a kill coming from Adrianna Nester to make it 11-8.
- Rockford regained control, going on a 11-3 point run with Brooke Mirshak and Nicole Eggers combining for five service aces. Paige Carpenter's back-to-back kills along with Alyssa Ashford's kill helped propel the Regents during the 11-3 point run making it 21-15.
- The Blue Angels made a valiant effort towards the end of the first set bringing the score to 22-20 in favor of the Regents.
- However, Mount Mary's comeback was to late as Rockford scored three straight points to take the first set 25-20.
- Both teams were evenly matched at the beginning of the second set with a score of 5-4, Mount Mary.
- The Regents broke the second set open going on a 11-4 point run to make it 19-9, Rockford. The 11-4 run was led by a number of hammered down kills from Nicole Eggers, Paige Carpenter, Alicia Puente, and Mackenzie Blizniak.
- Rockford maintained control of the second set, winning 25-17 off a kill from Alicia Puente.
- The Regents got off to a commanding start in the third set, leading 7-0. Paige Carpenter led the charge with three service aces, while Mackenzie Blizniak had two strong kills.
- The Blue Angels climbed its way back making it 9-6, Rockford.
- The Regents made one last push to maintain the lead with a 11-3 point run making it 20-9. Three Regents recorded service aces, Amelia Rehberg, Jennifer Quintas, and Paige Carpenter to go along with two kills from Nicole Eggers and Paige Carpenter.
- Mount Mary could not recover as the Regents kept tacking on to win the third set 25-19.
- The Regents got the first set underway scoring the first three points off two kills from Paige Carpenter and a kill from Alicia Puente.
- The Vikings stayed with the Regents off a kill from Liza Stalcup making it 10-10.
- It was a close set with both teams staying within four points of each other late in the first set.
- Alicia Puente tied the set at 23-23 with a huge kill to give the Regents momentum.
- Rockford won a close first set 25-23.
- The second set started off with the Vikings getting an early 6-4 lead from a 6-2 point run they put together.
- Rockford found themselves down 14-8 in the second set.
- The Regents pieced together a 7-2 point run, taking the lead 18-17. Clutch kills came from Paige Carpenter, Alicia Puente, and Della Crain.
- An attack error allowed the Vikings to tie the set at 25-25.
- Unfortunately, the Regents fell to the Vikings in the second set 30-28.
- The third set started out as a dog fight with neither team being able to gain a sizable lead.
- Rockford had a 9-3 point run late in the third set taking the lead, 18-16. Taking advantage of scoring opportunities was Della Crain with five kills during this 9-3 run.
- The Regents topped the Vikings in the third set 25-21.
- The Vikings started the fourth set by scoring 11 unanswered points. Marife Entenza highlighted this 11-0 run with four unstoppable service aces.
- Rockford tried to close the gap on a 14-8 deficit from Della Crain hammering down a kill, but that is the closest they would come during the fourth set.
- Lawrence prevailed in the fourth set, 25-15 forcing a fifth set.
- The fifth and final set showed the determination of both teams as it was a tight set.
- The Regents tied it at 5-5 with a kill from Nicole Eggers.
- Back-to-back service aces from Brooke Mirshak put the Regents in front 9-6.
- Rockford sustained the lead going on to win the set 15-10, taking the match win away from Mount Mary.
Mount Mary University
- Paige Carpenter had 6 kills, 5 service aces, and 9 digs.
- Mackenzie Blizniak matched her season high with 8 kills and 1 dig.
- Nicole Eggers had 4 kills, 2 service aces, and 3 digs.
- Brooke Mirshak had 4 service aces and 9 digs.
- Della Crain had 19 kills and 8 digs.
- Nicole Eggers had 5 kills, 4 service aces, and 6 digs.
- Paige Carpenter had 11 kills, 3 service aces, and 20 digs.
- Alicia Puente had 10 kills and 3 digs.
The RU women's volleyball team returns to the court on Wednesday, September 18 at Wisconsin Lutheran College to open conference play with a scheduled start time of 7:00 PM.