ROCKFORD, Ill. - The Rockford University women's soccer team is set to embark on its first season under new head coach Breena Proctor. There is a lot of excitement around this year's squad, as the Regents will be making their triumphant return to the Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference following a four-year hiatus.
- Rockford will rely on both the experience and leadership from its core group of returners, some of which include: Jessivel Uribe, Annie Harris, Samantha Bergeron and Alexis Keener.
- Jessivel Uribe is back this season as the leading returning goal scorer off last year's squad, despite starting and playing in just 12 matches. Uribe found the back of the next four times, including one game-winning goal.
- Annie Harris returns for her second season in a Regent uniform, after starting 16 matches and scoring a trio of goals a year ago.
- Alexis Keener returns for her sophomore season after playing in 16 matches with 15 starts as a freshman. Keener will again be relied upon to help anchor the Regent defense and to get the ball up the field for the offensive attack.
- Samantha Bergeron is back after serving as the team's primary goalie last season. She played in all 18 matches including making 15 starts and led the Regents with 130 saves.
- Rockford also has a talented group of newcomers who will get an opportunity to play and make an immediate impact. That group is led by the trio of Daniela Garcia, Amelia Harper and Paige Lockard.
- Daniela Garcia will see immediate playing time on the defensive side of the field for Rockford, providing both toughness and great field awareness.
- Amelia Harper gives the Regents another solid option in goal and will also be able to help on the field defensively.
- Paige Lockard should also make an immediate impact for Rockford, after being named Defensive MVP in high school.
"I'm really excited to see what this team can do," Coach Proctor stated. "We have a lot of strong returners to go along with our new incoming players who bring a lot of great things to the team. We have been training hard, improving daily and have been focusing a lot on our mindset, which will aid in the team's success."
The Rockford University women's soccer team begins its season on Friday, August 30 at Monmouth College. The match has a scheduled start time of 5:00 PM. Rockford is set to kick-off the home portion of its schedule on Sunday, September 15 at Blackburn College. That match has a 2:00 PM start at Wedgbury Stadium at Mercyhealth Sportscore Two.