RIVER FOREST, Ill. - The Rockford University women's basketball team (1-5, 0-3 NACC) lost a hard-fought defensive game, 53-42, at Dominican University (5-1, 2-0 NACC). Although Dominican led for much of the game, Rockford was able to stay within striking distance thanks in part to another excellent defensive performance. For the third straight game, Rockford held its opponent to under 60 points, a feat Rockford did not accomplish at all last season. Additionally, the Regents held their opponent to under 33% shooting from the floor (30.8) and under 31% shooting from three-point range (14.3) for the third straight game.
- The game got off to a slow start as neither team was able to crack double-digits in the first period.
- Neve Yerk scored the first bucket of the game to give Rockford a 2-0 lead.
- However, the Stars scored the next seven points to take their first lead of the day.
- Rockford would close the quarter strong though, scoring five of the final seven points to pull back within two. Three different Regents scored over that span, led by two each from Lexy Perez and Jazsmin Blue.
- Dominican slowly extended its lead to as many as 11 points in the second quarter, before ultimately taking a 27-17 advantage into the break.
- The Stars continued to build upon their momentum in the third quarter. Dominican opened the period with a 12-3 run to take a game-high 19-point lead with 3:30 left in the third.
- Rockford was able to trim three points off the Dominican advantage over the final 3:30, as the Stars entered the fourth with a 40-24 advantage.
- The Regents then used a 5-0 run to begin the fourth, to cut the Dominican lead down to just eleven. Sammi Russell led the RU offensive attack with four points during that stretch.
- Rockford continued to slowly chip away at the Star advantage, using an 11-6 run over the next six and a half minutes, to make it just a two-score game. Five different Regents scored over that span, led by three points from Linzy Keller.
- Unfortunately, Rockford was able to get any closer, as Dominican scored the final five points of the game to seal the win.
- Neve Yerk once again led the Regents with her fourth double-double of the season. Yerk finished with a team-high 11 points and a game-high 12 rebounds. She also added 4 blocks, 1 assist and 1 steal.
- Emily Cox had a nice all-around game with 8 points, 7 rebounds, 5 assists and 5 steals.
- Linzy Keller tallied 8 points, 1 assist and 1 steal.
The RU women's basketball team concludes its five-game road trip on Tuesday, December 3 at Marian University. Tip-off is set for 7 PM in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin.