BELOIT, Wis. - The Rockford University women's basketball team (1-4) fell 56-43 on the road Tuesday night to the Beloit College Buccaneers (1-3). The game was ultimately decided in the first quarter, as the Regents dug themselves into an early hole and were never quite able to recover. Beloit opened the game on a 12-0 run, before taking a 21-5 lead at the end of the period. The Regents actually outplayed the Buccaneers over the final 30 minutes of the game, but unfortunately, were never able to any closer than nine the remainder of the way. Despite the loss, Rockford turned in yet another solid defensive performance. The Regents held Beloit to just 29.8% shooting and forced 19 Buccaneer turnovers. However, the Buccaneers held a 15-8 edge in offensive rebounds, which allowed them to take six more shots. The extra shot attempts contributed to Beloit making seven more three-pointers, which ultimately was one of the major differences in the game.
- Beloit scored the first twelve points to jump out to an early double-digit advantage.
- Rockford's Neve Yerk promptly scored the next five points to pull her team back within seven, at 12-5.
- However, Beloit would close the period on a 9-0 run to take a 21-5 advantage into the second.
- The second quarter got off to a much better start for Rockford. The Regents opened on a 5-0 run over the first four minutes, to pull back within eleven. Linzy Keller got things started with a three on the Regents' first possession of the period, and Emily Cox capped off the run with a layup on an assist from Neve Yerk.
- Unfortunately, Rockford was unable to get any closer, as the Buccaneers took a 29-15 lead into the break.
- The third quarter followed a similar patter to the second, with Rockford coming out of the gates strong. Neve Yerk scored the first four points of the period to cut the Buc lead back down to twelve points.
- The game went back-and-forth for the remainder of the period, with Beloit holding a 42-31 advantage heading into the fourth quarter.
- Rockford would get as close as nine points in the fourth, after Linzy Keller drained a jumper to begin the period.
- Unfortunately, Beloit answered with six straight point to push the lead back to double-digits and essentially seal the win.
- Neve Yerk recorded her third double-double of the season. Yerk led all scorers with 17 points, grabbed a game-high 13 rebounds and had a career-high 5 blocks. Through five games, Yerk is currently second in the NACC in scoring (21.0 ppg) and is leading the conference in both rebounding (11.2 rpg) and blocks (2.8 bpg).
- Linzy Keller finished with 10 points, 4 rebounds and 1 steal.
- Emily Cox added 10 points, 6 rebounds, 1 assist and 1 steal.
The RU women's basketball team resumes NACC play on Saturday, November 30 at Dominican University. Tip-off is set for 4:15 PM.