ROCKFORD, Ill. - The Rockford University women's basketball team heads into the 2019-20 season under new direction from first year head coach Taylor Stinson at the helm. Rockford has its sight set on improving from the previous year. The Regents have a solid core of seven returners, along with three incoming players joining the program looking to make a quick impact.
- Rockford is counting on the experience and leadership from key returners, some of which include: Emily Cox, Linzy Keller, Katlyn Fiorucci, and Neve Yerk.
- Emily Cox is back for her senior year after leading the team in three-point percentage with 28.8, while only playing in 11 games and starting seven of them. She also averaged 7.1 points per game and saw the floor an average of 30.6 minutes per game.
- Linzy Keller is another senior back from last year who played and started in all 25 games. She will be an incredible asset for the Regents, having tied for the team lead with 11.8 points per game last year.
- Neve Yerk returns to the floor for the regents after playing in four games and missing the rest of last season due to injury. As a freshman she played in 22 games, led the team with .7 blocks per game, finished second with 4.5 rebounds per game, and recorded two double-doubles on the season.
- Katlyn Fiorucci returns for her final season in a Regent uniform, after playing and starting in all 25 games last year. She led the team with 2.7 assists per game, averaged 4.3 points per game, and played an average of 32.5 minutes per game.
- Rockford also has skilled newcomers who will have the opportunity to make an immediate impact. The newcomers are highlighted by Jazsmin Blue and Courtney Sutherland.
- Jazsmin Blue is a transfer noted for her defensive skills and will likely have an immediate impact for the Regents.
- Courtney Sutherland's hustle and effort should also allow her to make an immediate impact on the team.
"We are excited to start our 2019-20 season after a strong pre-season and a good first couple weeks of practice," Coach Stinson stated. "We are hoping to rely on production from our experienced returners and strong contributions from our incoming players as well."
The Rockford University women's basketball team opens up its season at home on Friday, November 8 against Eureka College. The game has a scheduled start time for 5:00 PM inside the Seaver Center.