ROCKFORD, Ill. - The Rockford University women's basketball team (1-14, 1-10 NACC) came up just short on Saturday afternoon falling to the Alverno College Inferno (4-11, 2-7 NACC). Rockford found itself down 41-24 at half. However, the Regents responded with a big second half including a 27-point fourth quarter. Unfortunately, it would not be enough as Rockford fell by the slimmest of margins to Alverno with a final score of 72-71.
- The Inferno started out hot jumping to an early 9-2 lead in the first quarter. From there Alverno kept pouring it on with a 14-4 run to take a 23-6 lead with 1:06 left in the quarter.
- Rockford would score the next four points to trail 23-10 heading into the second quarter.
- The Inferno used their momentum to head into the half up 41-24.
- Lexi Rangel (Prophetstown, Ill.) led the Regents at the half with 7 points. Linzy Keller (Machesney Park, Ill.) put together a nice half picking up 8 rebounds and 5 points.
- Alverno saw its largest lead of night come at the 7:29 mark of the third quarter when it led RU 47-27.
- Rockford would not give up as Nicole Silvers (Byron, Ill.) drilled a three with 31 seconds left in the third quarter to send the Regents into the final quarter down 59-44.
- Rangel helped sparked some momentum for RU as she knocked it down three times from beyond the arc to contribute to the Regents 14-2 run. Rockford found itself trailing just 67-64 with 4:36 left in the fourth.
- It remained scoreless for the next three minutes until Keller converted on a layup to bring the Regents within one with only 1:04 to play.
- Justice Hawkins for Alverno snuck in a layup for her 31st point of the day to put the Inferno back up 69-66.
- Keller again found the hoop on a layup to bring Rockford back within one with :32 to play.
- Rockford found itself down 72-68 after having to send Alverno to the free throw line.
- With one second on the clock Nicole Silvers hit from three but the Regents would come up just short as time expired and Alverno went on to win by a final score of 72-71.
- Three Rockford players finished with double-digits on the day.
- Nicole Silvers finished with a team-high 21 points on 9-of-15 from the floor including knocking down 3-for-4 from deep. Silvers also picked up 6 rebounds, 3 assists and 2 steals.
- Freshman Lexi Rangel registered a career-high 20 points on 8-for-16 from the floor while going 3-of-6 from beyond the arc. Rangel also tallied 2 rebounds, 2 assists and a steal.
- Linzy Keller picked up her third double-double on the season as she chalked up a game-high 13 rebounds, 12 points, 2 assists and a steal.
- Katlyn Fiorucci (Machesney Park, Ill.) played well as she finished with 8 points, 5 rebounds, 5 assists and 2 steals.
The Rockford University women's basketball team returns to action on Saturday, January 19 when it travels to Concordia Wisconsin. Tip-off is set for 2 PM.