ROCKFORD, Ill. - The Rockford University softball team (8-8) picked up a pair of decisive road wins on Thursday over the Beloit College Buccaneers (6-14). Rockford dominated all facets of both games as the Regents never trailed the entire day. The Regents scored at least two runs in four different innings en route to an easy 11-1 win in the opener. Dylan King (Constantine, Mich.) led the offensive attack going 4-for-5 at the plate and driving in four runs. Game two was more of the same, as the RU offense continued its torrid pace at the plate. The Regents again scored two or more runs in four separate innings as they cruised to a 12-2 victory. Dylan King continued her red hot hitting, going 2-for-4 at the plate with five RBIs and a run scored.
Rockford University 11 Beloit College 1
- Rockford wasted little time getting on the board with a pair of runs in the top of the first. The Regents quickly loaded the bases with a walk and back-to-back singles off the bats of Annaka Bartz (Rockton, Ill.) and Emily Cox (Erie, Ill.). Two batters later, Dylan King drove in her first of nine runs on the day with an RBI single through the right side of the infield. Rockford would add one additional run via a Sammi Russell (Winnebago, Ill.) RBI walk to take a 2-0 lead.
- The score remained 2-0 until the bottom of the second inning. The Bucs scored a single run off two hits to cut the Regent lead in half at 2-1.
- Rockford extended its lead to 4-1 with a two-run fourth. Gretchen Schrubbe (Elgin, Ill.) drove in the first run of the inning with an RBI double to deep right center field. One batter later, Annaka Bartz drove in her second run of the game with an RBI single back up the middle to give the Regents a 4-1 advantage.
- The Regents would then put the game away in the final two innings with a four-run sixth and a three-run seventh.
- After a walk and a Schrubbe single to begin the sixth, Bartz crushed an RBI double to left field to make it a 5-1 Regent lead. Two batters later, Brittany Bihun (Schaumburg, Ill.) roped a double of her own, driving in a pair of runs and making it a 7-1 game. Rockford would drive in one more run in the inning off an RBI double from Dylan King.
- Rockford showed excellent patience at the plate in the seventh, scoring three runs off just one hit. Four of the first five batters in the inning drew a walk, including an RBI walk by Brittany Bihun. The Regents lone hit in the inning came from Dylan King, who drove in two more runs via a two-run single through the left side of the infield.
- Eleven runs was more than enough run support for RU pitcher Rylee Klema (Mendota, Ill.). Klema went the distance once again, holding the Bucs to a single run and picking up her seventh win of the season.
Rockford University 12 Beloit College 2
- Rockford put game two out of reach early, scoring a total of six runs in the first two innings.
- The Regents strung together five straight singles to drive in the first two runs of the game. It was once again Dylan King who came up with the big hit, driving in both of the runs via a two-run single into left field. Rockford would add two more runs later in the inning off a Beloit error, to take a 4-0 lead after a half inning of play.
- Beloit did score a single run in the bottom of the first to pull back within three at 4-1.
- Rockford responded right back with two runs in the top of the second. The Regents took advantage of two hit batsman, a wild pitch and a pair of Beloit errors to extend their lead to 6-1.
- The Regents then put the game away with a three-run fourth and a three-run fifth.
- Rockford opened the fourth with a single from Gretchen Schrubbe and a double from Annaka Bartz to put runners on second and third with no one out. One batter later, Emily Cox drove in the first run of the inning to make it a 7-1 game. After a walk loaded the bases, Dylan King drove in two more runs with a single to left to put her team in front 9-1.
- The Bucs again added a single run in the bottom of the fourth before Rockford ended the game with three runs in the fifth.
- Emily Cox drove in the first run of the inning with an RBI single back up the middle, followed by RBIs from both Brittany Bihun and Dylan King.
- Pitcher Rylee Klema took care of the rest, holding Beloit to just two runs and earning her eighth win of the season.
- Dylan King led the Rockford offensive attack. King went 4-for-5 at the plate with four RBIs and a double.
- Annaka Bartz finished 3-for-4 with three runs scored, two RBIs and a double.
- Gretchen Schrubbe was 2-for-4 with two runs scored, an RBI and a double.
- Emily Cox was also 2-for-4 with two runs scored.
- Brittany Bihun went 1-for-3 with a double, three RBIs and a run scored.
- Rylee Klema went all seven innings, allowing just one run on six hits and striking out one.
- Dylan King again led the charge, going 2-for-4 with five RBIs and a run scored.
- Annaka Bartz was 2-for-3 with a double and four runs scored.
- Emily Cox finished 2-for-4 with two RBIs and four runs scored.
- Gretchen Schrubbe went 2-for-4 with two runs scored.
- Rylee Klema tossed her twelfth complete game and improved her record to 8-6. Klema went all five innings, allowing two runs off five hits with two strikeouts.
The RU softball team will open NACC play at home on Saturday, March 30 against Aurora University. First pitch of the doubleheader is set for noon at Sportscore Two.