BELOIT, Wis. - The Rockford University men's basketball team (1-3) dropped its second straight road game, 80-68 to the Beloit College Buccaneers (2-2). Tuesday's game featured just three lead changes and two ties, but saw each team lead by at least thirteen during various points in the evening. Beloit's first double-digit lead came early in the first half. However, Rockford was able to erase the early 12-point deficit, and take a two-point lead into the break. The Regents then continued to build upon their momentum early in the second half, extending their lead to as many as thirteen. Unfortunately, Beloit slowly chipped away until it retook the lead with 4:11 remaining and never looked back. The Bucs led by as many as fourteen before ultimately winning by a final score of 80-68. Offensively, Rockford took sixteen more shot attempts, but was only able to make three more shots than Beloit. However, the difference in the game came at the free throw line. Beloit attempted 20 more free throws and made 17 more free throws than Rockford.
- Beloit got off to a fast start, scoring 16 of the first 20 points to take an early 16-4 lead.
- With the Bucs still leading 21-10 at the 10:32 mark, Rockford slowly cut into the deficit and eventually outscored Beloit 25-12 to take a 35-33 lead into the half.
- The Regent bench came up huge in the opening 20 minutes, accounting for 28 of the team's 35 first-half points. Vincent Eugene led the offensive attack with 12 first-half points, including draining his only three-point attempt of the day. Justen Kidd added 6 points on a perfect 3-for-3 shooting performance over the opening 20 minutes of play. Zachary Burzawa and Tanner Brooks each chipped in four, with Burzawa draining his first triple of the season.
- Things continued to go Rockford's way early in the second half. After Beloit cut the RU lead to a single point, Rockford ran off 11 straight points to take its first double-digit lead of the evening. Kivontay Shaw led the charge with six points, including draining a triple to cap-off the run and give his team a 49-37 advantage. Brandon Emerick also chipped in four points, while Justen Kidd added two over that span.
- Rockford would extend its lead to as many as thirteen with 14:04 remaining after Ashton Singleton buried his first three-pointer of the game.
- Unfortunately, from that moment on, the game began to swing in Beloit's favor. The Buccaneers outscored Rockford 38-13 over the remainder of the game, including an 18-2 edge during the final 4:33 en route to an 80-68 win.
- Vincent Eugene finished tied for the team-high with 12 points on 5-of-8 shooting. Eugene also added 3 rebounds and 2 assists off the bench.
- Kivontay Shaw also tied for the team-high with 12 points on 4-of-9 shooting, including going 2-for-5 from beyond the arc. Shaw rounded out his day with 3 rebounds and 2 assists.
- Justen Kidd played well off the bench. Kidd had 10 points on 5-of-7 shooting, 2 rebounds and 1 assist.
- Brandon Emerick was the final Regent to reach double figures. Emerick tallied 10 points, 4 rebounds, 4 steals and 3 assists. Through the first four games of the season, Emerick is currently second in the NACC in steals, averaging 2.5 per game.
The RU men's basketball team resumes NACC play on Saturday, November 30 at Dominican University. Tip-off is set for 2 PM.