MILWAUKEE, Wis. - The Rockford University men's basketball team (1-2, 0-1 NACC) opened conference play on the road Saturday afternoon, with a 90-78 loss to the defending NACC Champion MSOE Raiders (3-1, 1-0 NACC). Statistically the game was very close, with Rockford even holding advantages in multiple key areas. Despite being at a size disadvantage, the Regents outrebounded the Raiders, 33-31, which also helped lead to Rockford taking ten more shots than MSOE. Unfortunately, the Regents were unable to take advantage of the extra shot attempts, as MSOE made just one fewer basket throughout the game. Ultimately, the difference in the game came at the free throw line. MSOE made twelve more free throws than Rockford, which turned out to be the exact difference in the final score of the game.
- The first half was close the entire way, as the largest lead for either team was just seven points. MSOE used a 12-4 run in the opening moments of the game, to jump out to a quick 18-11 advantage.
- Fortunately, Rockford responded right back with a 7-0 run of its own to tie the game. Four different Regents scored during the run, led by two points from Kivontay Shaw, Ashton Singleton and Jamar Rivera.
- The game then swung back MOSE's way, as the Raiders scored seven straight points to leap back in front 25-18.
- The string of runs continued, as the Regents scored the next nine points to retake the lead. Vincent Eugene led the offensive attack with four points, including a layup with 8:08 remaining in the half to put his team out in front.
- Rockford's lead did not last long though, as MSOE scored the next seven points to take a 32-27 advantage.
- MSOE would extend its lead to as many as seven points with 2:39 remaining in the half, before Rockford made one final push. The Regents would outscore the Raiders 8-3 over the closing moments of the first half, led by six straight points from Randy Stegenga, to cut the Raider lead to just two points heading into the break.
- Unfortunately, Rockford got off to a slow start in the second half. MSOE outscored Rockford 11-1 over the first four minutes and one second, to take the largest lead of the game thus far, at 59-47.
- MSOE's double-digit lead was short lived though, as the Regents strung together a 12-2 run, to pull back within a single bucket. Five different Regents combined to score the 12 points, led by four from Kivontay Shaw.
- Unfortunately, that was as close as the Regents would get for the remainder of the afternoon.
- MSOE was able to extend its lead back to double-figures over the next five minutes, and keep the Regents at bay over the final nine minutes of the game.
- The Raiders would eventually push their advantage to a game-high 16 points, before ultimately coming out on top 90-78.
- Kivontay Shaw finished with a team-high 18 points, 6 rebounds and a steal.
- Brandon Emerick added 10 points, 4 rebounds, 3 assists and 2 steals.
- Ashton Singleton recorded a game-high 8 assists, 5 points, 3 rebounds and a steal.
- Jamar Rivera, Vincent Eugene and Randy Stegenga each had 8 points.
- Justen Kidd finished 7 points, while Nathaniel Shead and Addison Bode both scored 6 points off the bench.
The RU men's basketball team continues its three-game road trip on Tuesday, November 26 at Beloit College. Tip-off is set for 7:30 PM at Flood Arena.