ROCKFORD, Ill. - The Rockford University men's basketball team (1-1) defeated Maranatha Baptist University (0-2) 77-68. The Regents came out blazing, taking the early lead and holding the lead for the entire game. Rockford showed a lot of grit and effort in Thursday nights win. Nathaniel Shead led the Regents with a staggering 25 points coming off the bench. Ashton Singleton and Brandon Emerick also came through big for the Regents, Singleton scoring 15 points and Emerick scoring 13 points. Defensively, the Regents played well with Jamar Rivera ripping 12 boards. The Sabercats could not overcome Rockfords offense, succumbing to a 77-68 loss.
- The Regents found themselves up 15-8 early in the first half with Nathaniel Shead's three point jump shot.
- The Sabercats were slowly inching their way back after a made layup brought the game within one basket, the Regents leading 16-14.
- After back-to-back scoring opportunities, the Regents regained a sizable lead at 24-16 with 10:08 left to play in the first half.
- Maranatha kept it close when Josh Davis hit a three point basket to make it 32-30 in Rockfords favor.
- Rockford and Maranatha traded baskets making it a nail-biter when the Regents were only leading by one point (36-35) with 2:54 left in the first half.
- Kivontay Shaw drew a foul and went one for two at the free-throw line to put the Regents up 43-38.
- Maranatha stayed in it, only being down by a point going into halftime, 43-42.
- The second half started off with the Regents taking control of the game once again.
- Ashton Singleton drained a three point basket to increase the lead 50-42.
- With 11:57 left to play in the game, Nathaniel Shead made another three point bucket for the Regents. The Regents lead, 56-50.
- Rockford went up by 11 points with 9:08 left to play, leading the Sabercats 63-52.
- The Sabercats challenged the Regents when they brought the score to 68-67 with 3:05 left to play in the game.
- The Regents kept the pressure on the Sabercats, taking the 77-68 victory.
- Nathaniel Shead recorded 25 points, 3 rebounds, and 1 assist.
- Ashton Singleton had 15 points, 5 rebounds, 3 assists, and 2 steals.
- Brandon Emerick recorded 13 points, 3 rebounds, 4 assists, and 2 steals.
- Jamar Rivera tallied 12 rebounds, 4 points, and 1 steal.
The Rockford University men's basketball team returns to the court on Saturday, November 16 for an exhibition game at Northern Illinois University. Tip-off is scheduled for 3 PM.