ROCKFORD, Ill. - The Rockford University men's basketball team (0-1) showed signs of strength in its home opener, but came up short 74-64 against Carroll University (1-0). The Regents Nathaniel Shead highlighted the offense with 18 points coming off the bench, followed by a strong performance from Brandon Emerick putting up 17 points. Unfortunately, Rockford could not stop the Pioneers as they had three players score double-digit points (19,17,12).
- The first half started with Carroll taking an early lead, 7-2.
- The Regents closed the gap with a knock down three pointer from Brandon Emerick to make it 9-7.
- A dunk by the Pioneers shifted the momentum, taking a 15-8 lead.
- With 9:56 left to play in the first half, Carroll started to break away with a 26-11 lead.
- Ashton Singleton showed off his range with a three point basket to limit the damage, 26-17.
- A three point jumper by Nathaniel Shead with 4:28 left to play in the first half put the Regents down by 10 with a score of 32-22.
- Brandon Emerick followed up with a three point basket of his own to bring the score to 32-25.
- The Pioneers held a 37-28 lead going into the second half.
- Carroll struck first in the second half with a layup to make it 39-28.
- The Pioneers kept a 10-point lead for much of the second half, until Nathaniel Shead drained a three pointer to make the score 55-47 with 10:43 left to play in the second half.
- Nathaniel Shead's and-1 was able to bring the game within six with 5:50 left to play in the second half, the score 63-57.
- However, Carroll took back a strong lead by going to the free throw line three consecutive times and making all free throws. The lead was increased to 69-57.
- Rockford could not recover from the deficit, losing 74-64.
- Nathaniel Shead recorded 18 points, 3 rebounds, and 1 steal.
- Brandon Emerick recorded 17 points, 3 rebounds, 5 assists, and 2 steals.
- Kivontay Shaw recorded 9 points, 4 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 steal, and 1 block.
The Rockford University men's basketball team returns to the court on Thursday, November 14 at home against Maranatha. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 PM.