ROCKFORD, Ill. - The Rockford University men's basketball team (6-8, 5-4 NACC) came up just short to the Benedictine University Eagles (8-6, 5-4 NACC) on Wednesday night. The Eagles went into the half up 42-36. Rockford battled back in the second as it came down to a last second shot for the Regents to tie the game, but it came up just short as Benedictine won by a final score of 82-79. BenU did well as it got major contributions from its bench as it tallied 33 bench points compared to just 16 for Rockford.
- It was neck and neck at the start of the game as neither team could manage to pull away from the other. A three-pointer from Kivontay Shaw (Galesburg, Ill.) followed by another three from Jeremiah Stewart (Chicago, Ill.) put Rockford up 14-9 just five minutes into the game.
- The Eagles started to claw their way back after a three-pointer knotted the game up at 22-22 with 9:16 to play.
- Rockford would regain the lead once more to make it 27-24 but from there Benedictine took over climbing to a 35-29 lead with just 3:59 to go in the half.
- A three-pointer from Brandon Emerick (Elkhart, Ind.) and two clutch free throws for Talon Hardin (Rantoul, Ill.) would put the Regents down 35-34. However, Benedictine would go on a 7-2 run to close the half and take a 42-36 lead into halftime.
- Kevin Diemer (Rockford, Ill.) led the Regents at the half with 9 points and 5 rebounds on 4-of-5 shooting.
- In the second half it seemed as though no matter how much Rockford fought the Regents could not cut into the Eagles lead. Benedictine saw its largest lead of the game come with 8:11 in the game up 69-55.
- Down 71-57 Stewart helped light a fire under the Regents as he scored the first five points of a 9-0 run to trail 71-66 with 5:03 to play.
- Rockford managed to find itself down 12 at 82-70 with 1:09 remaining looking for an answer. Shaw stepped up and hit a three for Rockford before a Benedictine turnover gave the Regents the ball and Kevin Diemer knocked down a three of his to make it an 82-76 game with :48 to go.
- With 12 seconds to play and neither team managing to score, Kevin Diemer collected an offensive rebound beyond the arc and took advantage by drilling the three and making it 82-79.
- Another turnover for Benedictine gave Rockford a chance to draw up a last second three to send the game to overtime. Unfortunately, the shot for Rockford went long and Benedictine went on to win by a final score of 82-79.
- Four Rockford players ended the night with double-digits.
- Kevin Diemer led the way for Rockford with his fourth double-double on the season as he picked up a game-high 14 rebounds and posted a team-high 17 points. Diemer was 7-of-11 from the field including 3-for-4 from beyond the arc. Diemer also tallied 2 blocks, a steal and an assist.
- Tony Diemer (Rockford, Ill.) finished with 14 points going a perfect 4-for-4 from the charity stripe. Tony Diemer also picked up 6 rebounds and 4 assists.
- Kivontay Shaw registered 13 points, 3 assists, 2 rebounds and 2 steals.
- Jeremiah Stewart logged 12 points, 3 rebounds, 2 steals, an assist and a block.
The Rockford University men's basketball team returns to action on Saturday, January 12 when it travels to take on Dominican. Tip-off is set for 4:15 PM.