ROCKFORD, Ill. - The Rockford University football team (1-8, 0-6 NACC) fought hard, but was defeated 28-25 in the fourth quarter by Concordia University Chicago (5-4, 3-3 NACC). Rockford came out strong, holding the lead until the fourth quarter. Unfortunately, the Cougars seized an opportunity with 3:31 left in the game scoring to win 28-25. LaVar Johnson Jr. came up big for the Regents scoring two touchdowns on the day, one coming off a 16 yard run and one coming off a 17 yard run. Rockford's defense gave the Regents a spark of energy when Michael Gay returned an interception for a 60 yard touchdown.
- The first quarter was grid-locked at 0-0 with both teams playing impressive defense.
- The Regents were first to get on the board with a field goal off the upright from 31 yards out from Gerardo Zamudio.
- Rockford extended its lead in the second quarter when LaVar Johnson Jr. rushed for a 16 yard touchdown. A miscue on the extra point snap resulted in Adam Ambrogio completing a pass for the two-point conversion to Joshua Page to make it an 11-0 game.
- The Cougars got started in the second quarter with a six yard rush for a touchdown and a made extra point to keep it a close game going into halftime, 11-7.
- Michael Gay took advantage of Concordia's first possession in the third quarter, intercepting the football for a 60 yard touchdown return. Gerardo Zamudio's extra point kick was good to give the Regents an 18-7 lead.
- The Cougars scored on their third possession of the third quarter off a five yard run. The extra point was good to trail the Regents 18-14.
- LaVar Johnson Jr. took a 17 yard rush to the house for his second touchdown of the day with 6:28 remaining in the third quarter. Gerardo Zamudio's extra point attempt was good giving the Regents a 25-14 lead going into the fourth quarter.
- Concordia scored from the red zone on its first drive in the fourth quarter. The three yard touchdown run paired with the extra point kick gave the cougars hope, trailing close 25-21.
- The Cougars were able to complete a huge 31 yard pass for a touchdown late in the fourth quarter to take a 28-25 lead over the Regents after the extra point was made.
- The Regents could not recover from the late game deficit, losing 28-25.
- Christian Mazurkiewicz completed 13 of 31 passes for 99 yards.
- LaVar Johnson Jr. had 2 touchdowns and 18 carries for 105 yards.
- Adam Ambrogio caught 8 passes for 82 yards.
- Michael Gay had 1 interception for a 60 yard touchdown, 1 forced fumble, and 6 tackles on the day.
- Jallen Bashford had 16 tackles and 1 forced fumble.
- Cody Minder had 6 tackles and 1 sack.
- Garrick McGregor had 10 tackles.
- Gerardo Zamudio had 1 field goal and 2 extra points.
The RU football team finishes the season at home on Saturday, November 16 against Eureka College. Kickoff is set for noon at Sam Greeley Field.