RIVER FOREST, Ill. - The Rockford University baseball team (9-25, 3-17 NACC) traveled to take on the number one team in the country in the Concordia University Chicago Cougars (35-5, 21-1 NACC) on Tuesday afternoon. The Cougars proved to be too powerful as they took game one by a final score of 10-0 in seven innings before dropping the Regents in game two 14-1.
Game 1: Concordia Chicago 10 Rockford 0
- The Cougars wasted no time getting on the board scoring in the first three innings with two runs in the first, four in the second and three in the third to take an early 7-0 lead.
- During that span the Regents only connected for two singles from Kyle Waugh (Waseca, Minn.) and Hunter Fiorito (Batavia, Ill.).
- After giving up seven hits through the first three innings the Regents did well to buckle down on defense as they only allowed one hit through the next two innings.
- Unfortunately CUC got back to its hitting ways as it tallied on another run in the sixth before adding two more in the seventh to take a commanding 10-0 lead.
- Rockford's closest chance to cracking the scoreboard came in the bottom of the sixth inning when it left three runners on base.
- Kyle Waugh was the lone batter to log a hit in that inning, but thanks to a few CUC errors and a walk the Regents were within striking distance. Unfortunately RU could not capitalize on its best chance in game one as they fell by a final of 10-0 in seven innings.
Game 2: Concordia Chicago 14 Rockford 1
- Game two was much of the same as the Cougars jumped out to an early 6-0 lead in the third inning as they tallied four in the first and two in the third.
- Rockford finally got on the board in the bottom of the fourth as Fiorito started things with a single to center field. Two outs later Fiorito was able to steal second before Waugh drew a walk.
- Troy Tucci (Wood Dale, Ill.) was able to reach first on an error that also allowed Fiorito to race home for the lone run to make it a 6-1 game.
- The Cougars did not stop there as they added one in the seventh, one in the eighth and exploded for six more runs in the ninth to go on to take game two by a final of 14-1.
- Hunter Fiorito and Kyle Waugh each finished 2-for-3 at the plate in game one, while Fiorito also added a walk and a stolen base.
- Michael Gunter (Maricopa, Ariz.) remained calmed at the plate during the game chalking up 2 walks.
- Hunter Fiorito led the way going 3-for-4 from the plate with a run scored and a stolen base.
- Dylan Johnson (Rockford, Ill.) also logged a hit in the game while Brett Down (Princeville, Ill.) tallied a stolen base.
The Rockford University baseball team will travel to take on Wisconsin Lutheran on Wednesday, May 8. First pitch of the doubleheader is set for noon.