MEQUON, Wis. - The Rockford University baseball team (4-11, 0-4 NACC) hit the road on Sunday for a tough test against the Concordia University Wisconsin Falcons (6-8, 2-0 NACC). Although both games were very close, the Regents came up on the short end each time, falling 6-4 in the opener and 4-2 in the nightcap.
Concordia University Wisconsin 6 Rockford University 4
- Rockford had a chance to take an early lead in the top of the first inning. The Regents quickly loaded the bases with just one out following walks by Brett Down (Princeville, Ill.) and Michael Gunter (Maricopa, Ariz.) and a Jacob Rillamas hit by pitch. Unfortunately, the Falcons struck out the next two batters to end the threat and keep the game scoreless.
- It was CUW who then struck first with a single run in the bottom half of the inning to grab a 1-0 lead.
- The score remained 1-0 until the top of the second when the Regents plated a pair of runs to take the lead. With runners on second and third and no one out, Michael Gunter came through with a clutch two-run single to center to put his team out in front 2-1.
- The Falcons responded right back with a run of their own in the bottom half of the inning to tie the game at 2-2.
- The back-and-forth affair continued in the top of the fourth when Rockford retook the lead. Freshman Iszak Mestas (Burbank, Ill.) got things started with a leadoff single into center field. After a bunt moved him over to second, Hunter Fiorito (Batavia, Ill.) crushed an RBI double down the left line, scoring Mestas and giving the Regents a 3-2 advantage. Although the Regents were unable to score any more runs in the inning, Jacob Rillamas was hit by a pitch for the third time in the game, tying the RU single-game record for hit by pitches.
- The Regents maintained their 3-2 lead until the bottom of the fifth when CUW scored a single run off a hit and two walks to tie the game at 3-3.
- Concordia Wisconsin would then score three more runs over the next three innings to take the largest lead of the game for either team at 6-3.
- Rockford made one final push in the ninth to tie the game. Cristian Bermeo (Chicago, Ill.) and Hunter Fiorito reached base safely via a walk and a single to start the inning. The Regents then took advantage of a Falcon error to load the bases with no one out. Unfortunately, the Regents were only able to score one run as the Falcons held on for the 6-4 win.
Concordia University Wisconsin 4 Rockford University 2
- Game two of Sunday's doubleheader was dominated by solid pitching from both teams. Rockford's Joseph Kmiec (Bolingbrook, Ill.) pitched very well in his first start of the season. After allowing a pair of runs in the third inning, Kmiec seemed to find his groove. The left-hander did not allow a run over the next four innings and retired 12 of the next 16 batters.
- Still trailing 2-0 after three innings of play, the RU offense broke through with a single run in the fourth. Michael Gunter continued his hot hitting with a leadoff triple to start the frame. Two batters later, Cristian Bermeo singled into center, scoring Gunter and making it a 2-1 Falcon lead.
- Rockford would then tie the game with a single run in the eighth. Jacob Rillamas and Michael Gunter strung together back-to-back two-out singles to put runners on first and second. The Regents would then load the bases on a Kyle Waugh (Waseca, Minn.) walk. One batter later, Rillamas scored on passed ball to tie the game at 2-2. Unfortunately, Rockford was unable to score any additional runs as the game entered the bottom of the eighth tied.
- The Falcons responded with two runs off three extra-base hits in the bottom of the inning to jump back in front 4-2.
- The Regents were unable to string anything together in the ninth, falling 4-2 in the nightcap.
- Hunter Fiorito finished 2-for-5 with a double and an RBI.
- Kyle Waugh was 2-for-4 with a double.
- Michael Gunter was 1-for-4 with a walk and two RBIs.
- Clay Goodwin (St. Francisville, Ill.) got the start on the mound for Rockford. Goodwin went five innings, allowing three runs and striking out three.
- Michael Gunter was a perfect 4-for-4 at the plate with a triple and a run scored.
- Cristian Bermeo went 2-for-4 with an RBI.
- Jacob Rillamas was 2-for-4 with a run scored.
- Joseph Kmiec was great in his first start of the season. Kmiec went 7.1 innings, allowing three earned runs while striking out five.
The RU baseball team returns to the diamond on Saturday, April 6 against Illinois Tech. First pitch is set for noon at Rivets Stadium.